Monday, August 24, 2009

God Bless Our Time

This is the image I have on my lap top. I love this picture of J-Man with his little twin Rocky. We are missing him because he headed out the door back to college on Saturday morning. This summer was a special time with all of our family together. We won't have many times like that left, so I really treasure them.

Speaking of time, we are entering our third week of school. Things have gone fairly well so long as I keep to my schedule. Sara asked if I would share it, but I'm sure it would be incredibly boring to most and I am not finished fine tuning it. It is the type of thing that works for our family but wouldn't work for others.

I came up with the basic skeleton by first really praying about the natural rhythms of my children. This a mother knows intuitively if she listens day to day. This is how I came up with our getting up, prayer, meal, study, exercise, break, nap, snack, play times and chore times. Later I put in specific times for musical practice - because if I don't write it down I won't remember. I also have to schedule the piano because we can't all play on it at the same time. :-) All the extracurricular events were then added - piano lessons, ballet lessons, baseball, cub scouts and boy scouts, etc...

Of course, I have to plan my driving efficiently, so I've then put in my grocery trips, library runs and outings to the YMCA, or playgrounds amidst waiting for kids in lessons.

Today my fine tuning will be which subject we do when. This is so I don't let any subjects fall through the cracks. In my family we all do math first because a.m. is when our brains are working best. I had a general idea I've been following well, but now I just need to set it on paper so the kids and I are on the "same page". I only want them spending so much time on a certain subject and then we move on. Friday we ended up getting stuck on subjects too long and didn't get other things accomplished. This isn't good for us.

Now my schedule isn't rigid. We really do flow with life. It is basically things we want and need to do each day. I've found that my children work best when they have a routine they follow. They know what to expect and what is expected of them. Things will come up that totally throw off a day - like Friday when he had to put our dear Casey to sleep and get our J-man ready to head out the door to college - but because I had a schedule to go by our whole day wasn't discombobulated. We did many of the things we needed to get done, but not all.

My motto is that we accept all the things that happen in a day, good or bad, timely or untimely, as coming from the hands of God for the benefit of our souls.



No comments: