Monday, March 28, 2011

A Song for Nagasaki - A Timely Read

I purchased the book, A Song for Nagasaki: The Story of Takashi Nagai, Scientist, Convert, and Survivor of the Atomic Bomb, back in December 2010. I generally read several books at a time so it isn't unusual for me to get half way through and stop for a while. I put the book down as his life was leading to the atomic bomb and then misplaced the book for a time. A few weeks ago I began thinking about it again. Then, the earthquake, tsunami and ongoing nuclear disasters put the Japanese people in the forefront of my thoughts and prayers. It almost seemed surreal that I was just reading about the history of Japan, the history of the persecuted Catholic culture and the history of radiology in that country. How could these topics be combined except through the eyes and life of Takashi Nagai.

As I picked up the book again, I wondered as to why the Japanese people would embrace nuclear energy after the terrible ordeal they suffered in WWII. I couldn't sleep that night as I finished reading the book. Paul Glynn answered this question and many others I hadn't yet considered. Takashi Nagai's personal understanding of "why Nagasak?" is profound. I hope it will cause me to pause if I should ever wonder a "why me" about any event in the future no matter how painful.

This is a powerful, true story. Paul Glynn does a great job of showing the beauty of the Japanese landscape, poetry, language, and mentality through the world wars and beyond. I love biographies and stories about real people. The better the person, the better the story and I can't recommend this book enough.

No comments: