Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Out with the Old, Part II

Does growing in my natural gray hair color count as an "Out with the Old" post? I really don't consider gray hair "old". Gray is simply the absence of color. It is just hair for goodness sakes!! Anyway, I am officially 15 weeks into growing in my natural gray. It is a bit of an awkward time for me. I spend my days being very busy and not thinking much about it until I run into friends I haven't seen since summer.

I live with ten other people who have loud opinions so I've decided to be kind and not shave my head to start from scratch. Instead I am spending a heap of money having my hair highlighted and low lighted in stages to blend in the gray to avoid the "skunk" stripe look. The over all effect is what I like to call the "mutt" look. My last hair cut doesn't help matters much either but it is what it is and I must live with it until I get it cut again, or not.

I was most concerned with the reaction of the little ones. I wanted a very gradual change as something overnight would shock these tender beings. One of them asked me "What color is your hair?" To which I responded, "Many different colors". She skipped away satisfied and happy. The other hasn't looked at me as if to notice anything different. I am just "Mommy" to her and she loves me no matter what. The next older two were combing through my hair as we waited for their doctor today. "Mommy! I can see your gray!!" They were giggling and feeling all through my hair. I don't blame them as it is rather interesting to see the contrasting colors. My teenage daughters really didn't like the highlights at first glance a month ago. I explained that the alternative would be super short hair cut and they quickly changed their minds.

My oldest child, the same child who led the way in talking me into coloring my hair four years ago, is the instigator and cheerleader in talking me in to going gray. She beckoned me over the summer to begin this route. She showed me sites like "Going Gray and Looking Great" and a few others. It is encouraging to watch others go through this awkward transition stage and know it will not last forever.


I thought I would post to make my "coming out" official but I have no pics to share at the moment. I'll have to update later.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Start taking pics weekly so we can see the change! LOL

But I loved your new haircut! It looks great!

Kate Wicker said...

You'll be beautiful no matter what color your crown of glory is!

Happy New Year!