Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Easy way to Save Water and Energy

In the midst of our flooding one wouldn't think that I would be concerned with conserving water. Perhaps it is the energy my dishwashers exhaust that I am more concerned with. Whatever the reason, I have come up with a way for our family to save both at the same time!! It is as simple as a rubber band! As there are too many members of my family to embrace a color coded system for our cups in identifying who used which one I have come up with a more practical system. I have written each of our names on rubber bands that are large enough to go around the cup of our choosing in the a.m. That is our cup for the day!

It probably isn't sanitary or attractive to leave a dozen cups around a kitchen sink all day, so we will get in the habit of rinsing and drying after each use. The little ones will have a lower shelf where they can reach theirs. After dinner the cups can go in the dishwasher.

While this may not seem like a huge issue to most people, in our house it is a big deal. I've had the idea for a while but only yesterday did I find the proper sized rubber bands at Walmart. We don't eat enough broccoli to save those rubber bands so I had to go out and buy. :-)

2 comments:

JLP said...

Hi Carol.I LOVE this idea. It seems like a small issue but it is NOT! By the end of the day (especially in the summer when the kids are home all day) we are overrun with cups. Used once.

I love your blog. Ir reflects your beautiful life. I miss you!

MightyMom said...

here's an idea along the same lines you might like


http://ashowerofroses.blogspot.com/2009/12/cozy-christmas-days.html