Thursday, August 20, 2009

Doughnuts from the Devil

I just finished making my children doughnuts for breakfast tomorrow morning. We had planned this for over a week after I purchased a set of doughnut baking pans for cheap at a nearby dollar store. Our tradition during school years has generally been that on Friday, if the kids have tried really hard throughout the week, I will treat them in some way. Often times we would purchase doughnuts on the way home from Mass. The last time I purchased doughnuts they cost me about $15.00 for my crew, so naturally, I wanted to find a way to make them and save some money.

After making these babies tonight, I now know why my children act like screaming banshees on the days I get doughnuts! My recipe for cake doughnuts with chocolate glaze contained 2 1/2 cups of sugar, not including the semi-sweetened chocolate and sprinkles! It only made about ten doughnuts and a smaller tray of twelve little minis! And I thought I was making them healthy by adding a little whole wheat flour! Ha! (I didn't have time to look for a healthy doughnut recipe.)

I'm sure these are delicious, but they won't pass my children's lips until they've at least eaten a fried egg and I'm ready to send them out to the backyard to run around for 45 minutes of blood sugar surging time. Now I know the truth! Doughnuts are NOT a breakfast food! They are not food! Cake is healthier for breakfast than doughnuts! Doughnuts are from the devil! but my kids really do enjoy them on a Friday morning......

2 comments:

Sara said...

Lol. You just figured out doughnuts are from the devil? So is it bad that doughnuts are our post-confession treat???

Carol said...

I knew they were bad, but I had to make them myself to see first hand. The doughnuts I made were good, but the kids said they weren't sweet enough!! Will try more recipes.

Post confession treats? That is a new one. Do tell...