Sunday, January 25, 2009

Time with St. Anne

I made a very nice afternoon dinner due to the fact that today is Sunday and also in celebration of the feast of the conversion of St. Paul. It took a little doing to get us all together (minus two) but I figured a few homemade deserts would be a sure way to get them all around the table without much fanfare.

I made a low carb version of my dh's favorite mixed berry crumble. Should the words low carb and desert be used together? I also made some low carb icecream to enjoy while my kids had the real stuff. I'll post the recipes but others may not like them because I use very little sweetener. They seem very sweet to me because I'm not used to eating sugar, but to others they may seem bland.

When we were setting everything up most of my children were wondering why we were eating in the DINING ROOM on our CHINA! I just wanted it to be a special dinner, but the kids were all whispering amongst themselves that I must be pregnant. I don't know why they would wonder this as we've never announced pregnancies over dinner in the dining room while using our china before. It was fun to see how excited and happy they were. It shocked me that when I told them I wasn't pregnant they didn't believe me and proceeded to ask dh!

My ability to create this fine meal in my spare time is thanks to my time with St. Anne every morning. Earlier I shared with you how I have spent my exercise time doing fast, efficient cleaning in the wee hour before the children arise. My house is looking really good. It is a very meditative time for me. St. Anne is helping me rearrange some things in my home/life and as a result things are far more hosptable around here - so come on over! :-)

Mixed Berry Crumble - Low Carb Version
1 bag of mixed berries
1/2 cup almond flour
6 packets nutria (better than stevia - natural and good for you)
Mix all together and put in a glass casserole dish
Topping -
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup crushed pecans
1 stick butter, cubed
Work all together with your fingers and sprinkle over the top of the berries.
Bake at 375 for 1 hour

Coconut Milk Icecream - Low Carb Version
1 can coconut milk
3 tbsp. sour cream
3 tsp. vanilla
2 packets nutria - can use more if you like.
Whip together and pour into icecream maker - follow manufacturers instructions. Enjoy!

Mixd Berry Icecream - Low Carb Version
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tbsp. sour cream
4 tbsp. baked Mixed Berry Crumble (see above)
2 packets of nutria if desired.
Whip together and pour into icecream maker - follow manufacturers instructions.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Did you make up the recipes or get them from somewhere? I'm going to have to get some Nutria---I've never tried a LC berry crisp.

Carol said...

Hi Sara - I made it up - taste tested as I went along - so these are really geared to my personal taste which others may not agree with. Whoops - it is a Low Carb Mixed Berry Crumble - not crisp. Sorry.
Carol